4.24.2012

Polymer Clay Garden Markers - How To-sday

This week to go along with my Backyard theme, I decided to make some garden markers for our plants we just got. I found a great tutorial on making garden markers with old silverware, and thought that I could make my own version with clay.

I also tried making a garden marker with an old spoon we had, using some Vintaj Patina, but stamping a word on it didn't turn out so great. The Patina looks nice though.

Antique Spoon Plant Markers is the tutorial I found, so check it out!

For my garden markers, I got some different colors of polymer clay, some letter stamps, acrylic paint, pearl-ex powder, and basic clay tools.


I rolled out the clay using an acrylic roller instead of clay/pasta machine so that the clay would be thicker. And then I cut the slabs of clay into the shapes I wanted.


Then I used the letter stamps to spell out the names of the plants that I got on Sunday. And started to add acrylic paint with my fingertips.



Finally, I added some Pearl-ex powder, also with my fingertips. (Pretty messy but still fun)


I still have to bake these markers, but here are a few I made last night and finished. I hand drilled holes in some, and added wire to help them stick out of the soil some.


And here they are in the flower pots that we already had in our backyard:



Have a great Tuesday! If you have any tips on making gardent/plant markers, let me know. The rest of the week I will be posting Etsy themed backyard listings, and a before and after of my backyard.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are so cute!!!

Oh and by the way, I the prize the other day. The earrings are so lovely and I just freaked over the packing! You will be on my blog tomorrow:)

Rachel said...

Oh I am glad that you got the earrings! Thank you for including me on your blog! I will have to check it out.

Anonymous said...

I wandered over from Nancy's blog. I'm loving your garden markers. I've been looking for some cute markers that weren't too expensive because I have a lot of herbs! I didn't realize how easy it was to make my own. Thank you!

Rachel said...

Thank you, Rhiannon!

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com