4.23.2012

A New Week, and a Weekly Blog Theme - The Backyard!

This week I am going to attempt to overhaul our backyard, on a small budget. Last week we decided to get two pots, some soil, and a few plants to add to our bare backyard. Now that my daughter has realized that we have "pretty" flowers and plants outside, I thought we should give her some plants of her own to pick apart all she wants.

What we have so far are some marigolds, one sweet mint plant, one strawberry plant, an oregano plant, and a few sprouts of Cilantro. A few of the marigolds were pulled apart by my daughter over the last few days.

Here is what our backyard looks like right now.
 Three Chairs, two Pots with some Plants, a toddler Slide and Pool.

Over the weekend, I found some tutorials on making garden markers, and read up on different plants that grow well in our area.

So, my goals for the week are:

1. Buy a few (3-4) more cheap pots for the yard
2. Make a few garden markers using Polymer Clay
3. Take my daughter to pick out plants of her own (Ended up taking her Yesterday for Earth Day)
4. Try to teach my daughter to Smell the flowers, not just pick them and run!
5. Clean up/ Re-arrange the furniture/toys we have outside

As I was thinking about all of this, I remembered that I still haven't planted the seed paper tags that I gave out as favors at my wedding reception over two years ago now! So I plan on using a small pot to start growing those in.

My husband Josh and I had a small wedding and a larger reception afterwards. I tried to buy many things for the reception from Etsy. The seed paper tags were from PulpArt. I got a mix of green, peach, orange, and cream plantable tags from this shop, and stamped our initials and hearts on the tags! Everyone loved that they were plantable, and I can't wait to see what wildflowers will grow.


Here are two products from PulpArt that they did not have when I bought these tags:


Baby Shower Favor Plantable Paper Pea Pod
Plantable Paper Seed Bombs
Updated: My mom and I ended up taking my daughter to pick out some flowers Sunday, as it was Earth Day! It rained all day here so we weren't going to plant anything right away. The local garden center was closed unfortunately, so we went to Lowes. They were having a few sales on different vegetable plants. We also found some clearance plants for under a dollar each. My daughter fittingly picked out some Petunia plants for herself. One of our nicknames for her is Petunia.

In total, I got 7 plants, for less than 10 dollars.

So, this week I will be showcasing some great Gardening or Backyard themed Etsy listings, showing you how I make some Polymer Clay Garden markers, and maybe even a before and after of what we are able to accomplish outside!

Are you a fan of flowers and Gardening, or even Backyard Decorating? Let me know why or why not! And make sure to keep entering the $500 Cash Giveaway here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com